Benesom by Metagenics provides a thorough herbal and nutrient solution to your sleep issues. Taken just prior to bedtime, Benesom enhances the release of your body’s own natural melatonin (the sleep hormone) and supports a more relaxing and restful sleep. It accomplishes this by providing high-quality and adequate doses of traditional sleep enhancement herbs such as Chinese Skullcap, Passionflower, Lemon Balm, Valerian and Hops. Benesom also contains 3mg of melatonin to directly enhance sleep-wake rhythms.
These sleep-wake (circadian) rhythms are largely controlled by light. Light sensing cells in the eyes send signals through the hypothalamus to the pineal gland telling it to increase or halt melatonin release. In our modern lives, we often have the lights on around the house in the evenings, televisions on and cell phones in our hands, all giving off light, fighting our natural evolution of darkness signaling melatonin release, sleepiness and restful sleep. Supplements and some good sleep hygiene practices can help to get you back on track.
- Chinese Skullcap has been show in studies to increase REM (rapid eye movement) and SWS (slow wave sleep)- both beneficial to the health of your sleep and brain. Binds to GABA alpha receptors and is also beneficial for anxiety and nervous exhaustion
- Passionflower promotes GABA system and is helpful for anxiety and insomnia
- Lemon Balm is an MAO inhibitor and promotes GABA. Also beneficial for acute stress, anxiety and depression
- Valerian root is involved with GABA modulation, interacts with adenosine receptors and is a 5HT agonist. Also beneficial for anxiety, stimulant withdraw, tension.
- Hops is a melatonin receptor modulator, meaning it can increase melatonin release helping to promote healthful sleep
Formulated to Exclude: Wheat, gluten, soy, dairy products, egg, nuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean shellfish, colors, artificial sweeteners, and preservatives. Storage: Keep tightly closed in a cool, dry place.
Calcium (as calcium lactate) 70 mg, Magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 140 mg, Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) 400 mg, Root Extract [standardized to 30% (120 mg) flavones], Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata L.) 200 mg, Flower Extract [standardized to 1.6% (3.2 mg) hyperosides], Melissa Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis L.) 150 mg, Leaf Extract [standardized to 3% (4.5 mg) rosmarinic acid] Valerian (Valeriana officinalis L.) 100 mg, Root Extract [standardized to 0.8% (0.8 mg) valerenic acid] Hops (Humulus lupulus L.) Cone 7.5:1 Extract 50 mg, Melatonin 3 mg.
Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, cellulose, stearic acid (vegetable), silica, and coating (hypromellose, medium chain triglycerides, and hydroxypropylcellulose).
|Ingredient||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Serving Size||2 Tablets|
|Servings Per Container||30|
|Calcium (as calcium lactate)||70 mg||5%|
|Magnesium (as magnesium citrate)||140 mg||33%|
|Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) Root Extract [standardized to 30% (120 mg) flavones]||400 mg||*|
|Passionflower (Passiflora incarnata L.) Flower Extract [standardized to 1.6% (3.2 mg) flavonoids]||200 mg||*|
|Melissa Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis L.) Leaf Extract [standardized to 3% (4.5 mg) rosmarinic acid]||150 mg||*|
|Valerian (Valeriana officinalis L.) Root Extract [standardized to 0.8% (0.8 mg) valerenic acid]||100 mg||*|
|Hops (Humulus lupulus L.) Cone 7.5:1 Extract||50 mg||*|
Recommended Dosage (adult)
Directions: Take 1-2 tablets approximately 30 minutes prior to sleep or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.
- Do not use if pregnant or nursing.
- Caution: For adult use only. Avoid use with history of seizures or depression, if taking benzodiazepines or sedating medications, or if consuming alcohol. If taking medications, including anticoagulants, consult your healthcare practitioner before use.
- Use caution if driving or operating machinery.
- Keep out of the reach of children.